Sunday, February 17, 2013

Back into the jobforce

So I have been thinking about going back to work.  I want part-time and would rather the employers not know I have cancer.  However If anyone that I apply to is the least bit internet savvy they are going to find out and there is nothing I can do about that.
     If they don't want to hire me due to the fact that I have survived brain cancer then it is their loss.  Cancer has taught me how to and NOT to interact with people. Especially elders and it taught me how to be even more compassionate.  I wouldn't change a thing. I've had people tell me me different things about telling the employers that I had cancer.  My sister said disclose it and though it may cost me that particular job, I will know when I do get a job they will be flexible due to my "condition".  Pam said don't disclose it because they are going to want to know that I will stay with them and not waste their time and money.  In other words I will be a "good investment".
What do you think?  Would you disclose that you SURVIVED brain cancer and are tenacious enough and tough enough to withstand almost anything life throws at you?  Also I HAD to turn down a promotion from D.A.D.S. and that just makes me sick.  Now I am looking for something in community and social services all the way down to clerical and filing.
Your thoughts? 

1 comment:

  1. While cancer has been a significant force in your life, it does not define who you are. You are YOU, and you have been all your life. You are a daughter, a wife, a horse-lover, dog owner, card player, and, among many other things, I'm sure, a cancer survivor.

    For a job interview, there are all kinds of things about YOU that you wouldn't bring up because they are irrelevant. If being a cancer survivor is important to the job, by all means mention it. If it's not, don't. If they ask you flat out about it, don't deny it. State proudly that you are a survivor, and leave it at that.

    This is about YOU getting a job, not you and Snarla. Don't give more attention to Snarla than it deserves (may it rest forever in hell).

    ReplyDelete